Ideas for Back To School Crafts
Both teachers and parents are on the look-out for ideas for Back to School crafts this time of year.
Children are naturally excited about going to school for the first time, so channel that enthusiasm into producing these adorable crafts.
Preschool separation anxiety is normal! If you find your child a little nervous about starting school, making these crafts may help calm those nerves as you talk about what to expect.
Ideas for Back to School Crafts - Teachers
Welcome your students to a new school year (or their first!) with these fun Back to School crafts.
Even the littlest students typically bring a backpack to school, and this craft will let everyone know who it belongs to!
- Take a photo of each child the first day and attach it to a piece of white cardstock. Write their name somewhere on the card as well.
- Have children decorate their card with crayons, markers, stickers, etc.
- When they are finished, laminate or place between sheets of Con-Tact paper.
- Punch a hole in the top and attach to their backpacks with ribbon. Be sure to attach this INSIDE the backpack, not outside. Let's not publicize the names of the children to strangers. The purpose of this craft is to help you, the teacher, know which backpack belongs to whom when placing papers or items in their backpacks.
With all the books you'll be reading this year, your students will need this handy bookmark to keep their spot.
- Have several of each Ellison-die cut letters for students to choose from.
- Help children (if they need it) to choose the letters that are their first and last initials.
- Place the letters vertically on the sticky side of a piece of Con-Tact paper.
- Sprinkle confetti, sprinkles, or hole-punched circles on top of the letters to decorate.
- Stick another sheet of Con-Tact paper on top.
- Cut around the letters to make a rectangle.
- Punch a hole in the top and tie a ribbon or yarn through.
Who Am I?
This is a fun "get to know each other" craft.
- Give each child a paper plate.
- Have them decorate the paper plate to look like their face using a variety of materials: yarn, fabric, googly eyes, markers, construction paper, etc.
- Next, have children dip their hands in paint and place handprints on piece of white paper. When dry, cut out around handprints.
- Have a simple clue sheet that you help students fill out, asking such questions as: What color are your eyes? What color is your hair? Are you a girl or boy? What do you like to do?
- Glue face, handprints, and questionnaire on large sheet of construction paper.
- Have other children try to guess who's picture is who - or display for parents to see if they can find their child's!
Ideas for Back to School Crafts - Parents
Get your kids ready to go Back to School (or to school for the first time!) with these fun craft ideas:
Decorate a Backpack
Get your youngsters ready for their first day with a decorated backpack.
- Start with a plain, canvas backpack.
- Choose decorating materials that will display your child's unique personality such as patches, buttons, latex craft paint, plastic jewels, pipe-cleaners (especially the glittery ones!), etc.
- Have fun decorating!
All children love to have supplies that they've designed. Try these for a fun alternative to plain #2s.
- Cut 2 sheets of craft foam into the shape you'd like your topper to be (circle, heart, triangle, etc).
- Glue the 2 pieces together over the pencil eraser.
- Decorate the topper however you'd like - googly eyes, pom-poms, etc.
Gift for the Teacher
Your child's teacher will appreciate this gift, made especially for them.
- Start with an empty, clean soup can.
- Cut a piece of decorative fabric long enough to wrap around the can.
- Glue the fabric along the top of the can (to cover any sharp edges).
- Roll a piece of putty along the middle of the can.
- Stick colored pencils all along the putty to cover the entire can.
- Wrap and tie a piece of white ribbon around for decoration.
Now you've got a unique pencil holder to give to the teacher!
My Favorite Resource for Back to School Crafts and More!
I LOVE the free shipping on most orders, the clearance items and the many deals this company has! You will find so many items for crafts for Back to School
at Discount School Supply
Go to the Back To School Main Page for More ideas!
Go to Preschool Professor's HOME Page
Visit The-Preschool-Professor.com's profile on Pinterest.